- Get a notebook or just a piece of paper and take a good look around your home – note down things that need to be repaired, redecorated or changed. Make sure that important issues such as radiator leaks, plumbing problems get sorted out before the really cold weather sets in.
- If you need to do any redecoration work around your home – do it now, particularly if it’s varnishing or painting floors, woodwork or work-surfaces as the fumes created mean you need to do these tasks with the windows open.
- Do a good “fall-clean”. Clean the windows and external woodwork; get rid of unwanted or unused junk; clear any clutter; reorganise your wardrobe for the winter; etc. Try to use natural cleaning agents – these are not only environmental friendly but are better for your health too! Have the windows open for many hours a day to let in fresh air (and good chi).
- Freshen up your home – go for long walks in the woods – collect leaves, twigs and pinecones. Dry out fruits, forest berries and leaves. All of these can be used for fall decorations and to make Christmas decorative ornaments. Adjust your home décor with a few fall elements – throws, cushions, linen, candles etc. More about fall decorations>>
- Start thinking about Halloween and Thanksgiving – here are a few ideas re decorating for Halloween. As to Thanksgiving, start planning your menu, the dining table deco and your home deco. More ideas for these will follow soon …
- If you have a garden, it also needs to be prepared for the winter – cut back bushes and perennials; clear the fallen leaves (use them for compost); move exotic plants and herbs inside; dig out overgrown or dead plants; plant new autumn plants. Finish off with a good layer of mulch. Some plants in pots need to be covered with bubble-wrap over the winter months – prepare them before the first frost sets in! Put away tools, toys and furniture.
- During fall the days are slowly getting shorter and greyer, which means that we’re all more tired and moody – so make sure you eat healthy, nutritious food and spend at least half an hour a day exercising (cleaning and DIY are excellent exercises).